This is a filling and nutritious lunch or supper dish.
175g chickpeas (canned or soaked overnight if using dried)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tin plum tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp dried herbs
500g courgettes, sliced into rings
125g peas or French beans
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
1. Simmer the chickpeas in fresh water until soft. Skim off any froth that rises. When cooked, drain, reserving the cooking liquid for later.
2. Gently fry the onion and garlic until the onion begins to colour and soften. Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, stirring together for a minute or two.
3. Add the chickpeas, dried herbs, courgettes and enough cooking liquid from the chickpeas to cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the peas or French beans and continue cooking until the vegetables and chickpeas are soft but retain some bite.
5. Season with salt and black pepper. Scatter with chopped parsley and serve.